NCTE Recognition Order
National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) is an Indian government body set up under the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 (#73, 1993) in 1995 is to formally oversee standards, procedures and processes in the Indian education system. This council function for the central as well as state governments on all matter with regards to the Teacher Education and its Secretariat is located in the Department of Teacher Education and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). Despite the successful functioning in terms of educational field, it is facing difficulties in ensuring the maintenance of the standards of teacher education and preventing the increase in the number of substandard teacher education institutions in the country.
Before 1995, the NCTE had existed since 1973 as a government advisory body (and not as a separate institution) to look after development and progress of "teacher education". The NCTE was then only a department of the National Council of Educational Research and Training. As per the NCTE's own admission, it failed in its objective of overlooking and, to an extent, regularising norms and processes in teachers' education in India because of lack of formal jurisdiction. To that effect, the National Policy on Education, 1986 allowed the setting up of a government authorized institution with formal powers.
- To achieve planned and coordinated development of teacher education system throughout the country.
- To regulate and properly maintain the Norms and Standards in the teacher education system and for matters connected therewith.
- It aims at training individuals for equipping them to teach pre-primary, primary, secondary and senior secondary stages in schools, non-formal and part-time education, adult education (correspondence) and distance education courses.
- undertake surveys and studies pertaining to all aspects of the teacher education and publish the corresponding results.
- For the preparation of suitable plans and programmes regarding the field of teacher education, it makes recommendations to both the state and central governments, universities, University Grants Commission (UGC), and other recognized institutions.
- it co-ordinates and monitors the teacher education system throughout the country.
- it lays down the guideline for the minimum qualifications need for an individual to be a teacher in schools and recognized institutions.
- it lays downs guidelines for the provision of physical and infrastructural facilities, staffing patter etc. for the compliance by recognized institutions.
- it lays down standards with respect to examinations, the major criteria for such admission as well as schemes for courses or training.
- it promotes and conducts research and innovation in schools and recognized institutions and then disseminate the results thereof.
- it examines its own laid-down guidelines, norms and standards for the improvement.
- it identifies the recognized institutions and set up new institutions for the developmental programmes of teacher education system.
- it takes up necessary steps for the prevention of the commercialization of teacher education.
- it also performs other function that are entrusted to it by the central government.
- Diploma in early childhood education programme leading to Diploma in Pre-school Education (DPSE).
- Elementary teacher education programmes leading to Diploma in Elementary Education (D.EI.ED).
- Bachelor of Teacher elementary education programme leading to Bachelor of elementary education (B.EI.ED)degree.
- Bachelor of Education Programme leading to bachelore of education (B.Ed) degree.
- Master of Education Programme leading to Master of education (M.Ed) degree.
- Diploma in Physical Education Programmes leading to Diploma in Physical Education (D.P.Ed).
- Bachelor of Physical Education Programmes leading to Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed) Degree.
- Master of Physical Education Programmes leading to Master of Physical Education (M.P.Ed) Degree.
- Diploma in elementary education programmes through Open and Distance Learning System leading to Diploma in Elementary Education (D.EI.Ed).
- Bachelor of education programmes through Open and Distance Learning System leading to Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Degree.
- Diploma in Arts Education (Visual Arts) programme leading to Diploma in Arts Education (Visual Arts).
- Diploma in Arts Education (Performing Arts) programme leading to Diploma in Arts Education (Performing Arts).
- 4-yr integrated programme leading to B.A.B.Ed/B.Sc.B.Ed Degree.
- Bachelor of Education Programme 3-yr (Part-Time) leading to Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Degree.
- 3-yr integrated programme leading to B.Ed.M.Ed.(Integrated) Degree.